SSD upgrade - arse about tit... but worked in the end

My gaming laptop had a rather small SSD of around 120GB in size.

I've upgraded this to a 1TB 'Crucial P1 NVMe 2280 M.2.SSD'.

First mistake I made was assuming that all SSD M.2 2280's are the same. They are not and the cost of enclosures for the NVMe variant is a lot lot more expensive and usually not compatible with the older M.2 versions.

So this meant the I had to take the old M.2 out of the laptop and put it into the external enclosure.

With the new SSD in the laptop I used clonezilla to copy disk to disk being very careful not to do the copy the wrong way round.

After some fun with the BIOS and the Windows Recovery I was able to boot into Windows 10.

The new disk was reported as being the same size as the old disk.

I shrank the main partition by 1MB and the full size appeared. However the Windows recovery partition needed to be moved.

Did some searching and after installing some so called free partition software and having others blocked by Sophos I found 'NIUBI partition editor free edition'.

The tool allowed me to move the recovery partition to the end simply via draging. The main partition was similarly easy to extend to take up the free space.

NIUBI worked out of the box and whats even better is it is free for non-commercial use.


Comments